Recipe by: taste.com.au
100g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
100g (1 cup) almond meal
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
500g strawberries, hulled, thinly sliced, drained on paper towel
- 115g (1/3 cup) strawberry jam, warmed, strained
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Place 2 baking trays in the oven to heat.
- Use electric beaters to beat the butter, sugar and egg in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the almond meal, flour and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Place each pastry sheet on a sheet of baking paper. Cut a large heart shape from each pastry sheet. Score a 1cm border in from the edge. Use a fork to prick pastry all over. Divide the mixture between hearts and spread over the pastry. Arrange the strawberry slices on top in rows. Slide the baking paper with the hearts onto the hot trays. Bake, swapping trays halfway through, for 20 minutes or until pastry is crisp. Brush with jam and serve with a dollop of crème fraîche.