Recipe by: taste.com.au
4 small (about 500g each) golden nugget pumpkins
2 tbsp plain flour
500ml (2 cups) milk
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
145g (1 3/4 cups) coarsely grated cheddar
100g (1 cup) grated provolone
25g (1/3 cup) grated parmesan
250g dried small elbow macaroni pasta
55g (3/4 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs, to serve
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Place the pumpkins on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer easily pierces the pumpkins. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a sharp knife to slice about 1-2cm from the top of each pumpkin. Use a large spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds and any fibrous bits, leaving a 2cm border of flesh around the edge.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk, whisking constantly. Return to the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in the nutmeg. Gradually stir in three-quarters of the combined cheddar, provolone and parmesan until melted. Set aside until required.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain well and return the pasta to the pan. Stir in the cheese sauce. Season.
- Combine breadcrumbs, thyme, oil and remaining cheese in a bowl.
- Divide the pasta mixture among the pumpkins. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture and bake for 15 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden and cheese is melted. Scatter with extra thyme leaves to serve.