Recipe by: thetoastedpinenut.com
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon natural almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (agave nectar, honey or maple syrup works too)
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (fresh ginger works too)
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- white sesame seeds for garnish
- In a pan over medium high heat, sauté the onion in avocado oil stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper and continue to cook for a couple minutes for the peppers to soften.
- Add the garlic, and chicken and using a spatula to chop up the chicken.
- Cook the chicken until it is white and no longer translucent.
- Add the water chestnuts and turn the heat down to low.
- In a small mason jar or any container with a lid, combine the tamari, sesame oil, white wine vinegar, almond butter, coconut sugar, fish sauce, garlic powder, and ground ginger.
- Screw the lid on and shake up to combine.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of the sauce into the pan and reserve the rest for drizzling into the lettuce wraps,
- Stir the chicken mixture one more time and remove from heat.
- Wash and dry your green leaf lettuce (the best for wrapping!!) and set on a plate.
- Scoop the chicken mixture into the leaves or serve in a big bowl for everyone to scoop into their own leaf.
- Top with chopped scallion, chopped almonds, and white sesame seeds.
- Serve with the sauce for pouring into the wrap or dipping!