Recipe by: lanesbbq.com.au
Time: 25 mins
- 8 Flathead Fillets
- 500ml Beer
- 25g Plain flour
- 100g Cornflour
- 100g Lane’s BBQ Chilli & Lime Rub
- 8 Lemon wedges
- 8 Large potatoes
- 4lt Veg oil for Frying
- 2 Eggs
- 250ml Grapeseed oil
- 50g Chopped gherkins
- 2 Lemons – juiced
- 1tsp Dijon Mustard
Cut the potatoes into chips & blanch in simmering water for 15 minutes, drain carefully & place evenly on a wire rack to allow the steam to escape.
- Lay out the flathead fillets on a tray, pat them dry & sprinkle them evenly with 50g Flour so they are all evenly coated.
- Into a large bowl, add 150g of the flour & cornflour, 20g of the chilli Lime rub & whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the beer whisking constantly to form a smooth batter.
- Heat oil in a pot to 180°c & dip the fish fillets into the batter then into the oil, fry the fish for around 3-5 minutes or until golden & crispy.
- Drain on kitchen paper & season with Lane’s BBQ chilli & lime Rub.
- To cook the chips, heat oil in a pot to 180°c & fry the already blanched chips until they are golden brown & crunchy, remove from the pot & season with Lane’s BBQ Chilli & Lime Rub.
- To make the mayo, add the eggs to a jug, with lemon juice, Dijon mustard & 50g of chilli & lime Rub, using a hand blender, blitz this together until smooth, then slowly add the oil in a thin stream until it’s all incorporated.
- Mix in the chopped gherkins & set aside.
- Plate up the Fish & Chips on a big board & place around some lemon wedges, spoon into a small bowl the gherkin mayo & dig right in.