Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 50 Mins
- 50 g Western Star Chef’s Choice Unsalted Butter
- 300 g leeks, cleaned and sliced into 1cm rings
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped
- 200 mL cider
- 50 g plain flour
- 300 mL Whole Milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 400 g cooked chicken, torn into pieces
- 50 g plain flour
- 60 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 65 g Western Star Chef’s Choice Unsalted Butter, cubed and cold
- 25 g Perfect Italiano Grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Melt half the butter in a large, deep-sided pan over a medium heat.
- Add the leeks and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the bacon and continue to cook for 4 minutes or until the bacon begins to turn golden.
- Add ¼ cup of cider and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the flour and stir continuously for around 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Gradually add the milk in small amounts to the pan. Stir well after each addition to incorporate the liquid into the flour mixture.
- Add the remaining cider and then stir to combine.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Once the mixture reaches the boil, reduce the heat to low, and then stir for a further 4 – 5 minutes until a thick sauce forms.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and then stir through the leeks, bacon, mustard, and cooked chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir the mixture for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Transfer into an ovenproof pie dish and set aside.
- To make the pie topping, place the flour, breadcrumbs and butter into a large bowl.
- Use your fingertips to combine the ingredients, and then stir through the parmesan and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper, and then spread across the top of the pie filling.
- Carefully transfer the pie into the oven to cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown.