Recipe by: taste.com.au
10 small apples (red or green)
75g butter, chopped
160g (1 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
185ml (3/4 cup) glucose syrup
300ml pouring cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Remove stalks from apples. Insert a thick wooden skewer through the core of each apple. Pat apples dry with paper towel. Combine butter, sugar, glucose, salt and 250ml of the cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until melted and smooth. Increase heat to high and cook, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until mixture reaches 120°C (hard ball stage) on a sugar thermometer.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining cream and vanilla (carefully, as mixture may spit). Return to medium heat, without stirring, until mixture reaches 120°C on thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Working quickly, dip each apple into caramel to coat, allowing excess to drip off. Dip in topping (see toppings). Place on prepared tray. Set aside to set.
- Mini m&m’s: Place 160g bag of Mini M&M’s in a shallow bowl and dip the bases of apples in M&M’s to coat. Set aside to set.
- Salted choc-nut: Place 2 cups chopped salted peanuts in a shallow bowl. Dip half the apple in peanuts to coat. Drizzle other half with melted dark chocolate. Sprinkle with sea salt. Set aside to set.
- Ginger crunch: Crush 200g ginger biscuits and place in a shallow bowl. Dip bases of caramel apples in biscuit crumbs to coat. Drizzle tops with melted white and dark chocolate.