Recipe by: Kidspot
Time: 60 mins
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 red apple (medium,thinly sliced)
- 3 tbs vanilla custard
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 cup water
- icing sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 190˚C and have a six cup muffin pan handy.
- Slice the apple thinly into crescents, then place it in a microwave-proof bowl with the water and lemon juice. (There should be enough water to cover the apples while cooking, so add more if 1/2 cup is not enough.)
- Microwave the apples on high for three minutes. When they’re done, drain them and set them aside.
- Sprinkle the bench with flour and roll out the sheet of pastry with a rolling pin, stretching it out to be about 30cm in width.
- Use a pizza cutter or pastry cutter to slice the pastry sheet into 6 x 5cm strips.
- Spread a teaspoon of custard across the middle of your first strip. Then place apple slices, overlapping across the top edge of the pastry strip. Fold the pastry strip in half (lengthways) all along. The apple crescents should sit just outside the fold.
- Now roll it up into a tight scroll. Pop it into one of the muffin cups in your tin to hold its shape. Make five more, then put them in the oven for 40 – 45 mins.
- When they’re done, sprinkle them with icing sugar and serve.
- You could use apricot jam instead of custard on the inside of these roses.
- You can sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon sugar before you roll it if you want a hint of spice.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some custard for a yummy dessert.
- These make a delicious lunch box or after school snack. So fancy!